History of the Price Foundation
The Price Foundation was established in 1951 through the
generosity of Mr. Louis Price and his son, Mr. Harold Price. Louis was
a founding partner of the Joe Lowe Corporation, a bakery and ice cream
supply business famous for the promotion of the Popsicle. Harold
followed his father's footsteps by joining the Joe Lowe Corporation in
1928 upon graduation from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School
of Business where he obtained a B.S. degree in Economics.
his original position of purchasing agent at the Joe Lowe Corporation,
Harold rose through the ranks to the position of Executive Vice President.
As Executive Vice President, Harold was responsible for the successful
merger in 1965 of the Joe Lowe Corporation with Consolidated Foods Corporation,
now known as Sara Lee Corporation.
Through shareholdings in Sara Lee Corporation, Louis and
Harold generously funded their foundation and guided its existence for
many years as respective Presidents. Since its inception, The Louis and
Harold Price Foundation has distributed millions of dollars to U.S. based
charities in the areas of community welfare, health, and education, as
well as support of programs in Israel.
In 1979, Harold established the Price Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies with the objective
of furthering the understanding of the entrepreneurial process and
stimulating MBA Programs and curricula development to encourage
and support those students with entrepreneurial aspirations.